Sunday, August 23, 2009

How to learn Football...the non-collison way

My attempts at understanding the game of football (the american version) were borne out of a fundamental survivalistic instinct: "When in Rome, try to be Roman". One had to know their football in order to be acknowledged as a human entity in a professional environment. Being in Texas allowed me to grasp this truth even faster. Texans take their football seriously; be it high school, college or pro-football.

I used to intern with the Texas Department of Transportation in those days. And more than half of the conversations invariably centered on the Longhorns, Aggies, Horned Frogs, Cowboys and...okay, I think I made my point. It did not take long for my colleagues to start yanking my chain for my football illiteracy (in good humor of course). I decided that I had to coach myself in a new language...FOOTBALL.

Now the easiest way to learn any game is to actually go out and play it. Well, it wasn't going to work this time for one simple reason: it's FOOTBALL. It's a collison sport where athletes purposely hit or collide with each other or inanimate objects, including the ground, with great force (ref: American Academy of Pediatrics definition). Although the idea of launching into someone at full-force and getting applauded for it instead of getting busted seemed tantalizing, I was neverthless fully aware of my body's phyiscal endurance limits. So that idea vanished as quickly as it came.

I tried reading about the game on the internet (god bless wikipedia and the patient souls who update it) and was able to acquaint myself to its basic aspects. But there was no fun in it. I started feeling coerced into it, instead of learning to love and appreciate the game. So, I had to decide; whether to continue this forced education or to just pretend that the game does not exist (for me) and move on.

That's when a light went off in my head (yes, a brainwave...I'm sure everyone else had those moments at one point or other in their lives). There WAS a way to play football in a non-collison way: play it on the PC. So I went out and got myself a copy of the Madden NFL PC game, and started playing it. There were some growing pains (ever tried pressing three keys at opposite corners on the keyboard!), initial setbacks (lost my first game 3-35) and all the usual frustrations. But eventually, I was able to develop the knowledge, understanding and appreciation for the game.

I am an unabashed fan of the Dallas Cowboys; and it's particularly gratifying to be a Dallas fan on the east coast surrounded by the fans of three division rival teams (Redskins, Eagles and Giants). Well, it's Sunday afternoon and time to get the popcorn ready: What time is it ? Game time huh